I started a p/t job as a Recreational Supervisor in the same community I go to sparks in, and have had the wool lifted from my eyes. I thought that the north end was bad but apparently the area I work in is gang central, and low income. The kids that come in have parents that are none existent, so we're a babysitter service.... But I've been told that the kids are generally sweet kids, or as sweet as teenagers can be LOL.
But it has been a long 4 days. I'm still trying to figure out the rhythm at work so until then it'll be 12 hr days as long as nothing goes wrong (then they're just really long). But it's been good, the place has changed a bit since I left 2 years ago, but a lot has stayed the same. It's just getting use to a totally different job that what I did previously, and I don't have a mechanical bone in my body (if it can't be fixed with ductape, glue and a few nails, I ain't touching it) so anything that breaks has to get fixed by one of the awesome guys I work with.
But back to my long days, 2 days I start at 7ish and the other 2 days I start at 4:30 so yesterday I had been functioning on 8 hours sleep total yesterday, because the Rec job is from 6 to 9. And getting up at 3:30 is difficult most days but after only 4 hours of sleep, functioning is impossible, which leads to the fun I had at work the other day.....
From the get go things hadm't been going good, I had fallen behind in scraping the aisle (found out a bunch of cows had been dried off = less cow = quicker milk time) then thought that the pit was full so just pushed the stuff to the end with out pushing it into the pit (logical thing to do). But here is where the fun begins, the barn cleaner wouldn't start (excellent) so couldn't do anything if I wanted to so just left it (again logical thing to do, then we were later joking that i had common sense and that but me at the top of the class, only to go from up here to down here in matter of minutes) but it was really cold and things were starting to solidify so Joe got the barn cleaner working. When I was pushing up cows there was this one that lagged behind, actually she was stuck in her stall, so after a lot of persuasion and a failed attempt to pull her out by her tail, she finally got moving. Well got her 3/4 of the way there and she falls (I noticed that she had a bad leg(s)). Whatever, I left her there, she wasn't in the way (really) and I had already waisted enough time on her. Well she got the bright idea that she was going to get up, so I figured I would try to guide her onto the straw. HA! the next situation can only be best described with a diagram
She got the bright idea to walk into a corner where she then fell again. CRAP! Now she's blocking the way, so I go get the harness to see if I can pull her head and get her redirected in the right direction (DOUBLE HA!) She continues to struggle to get up and wedges her in the walkway blocking traffic (CRAPPITY CRAP!) So I then call the boss because this is now well beyond my expertise and now I'm really behind in scrapping. Well he gets her up and to the palour where at least she's out of the way. Once milking was done we then had to drag her out with the skidsteer to the point where we then could put the hip lifters on her and lift and carry her to the pen. I'm still giggling about it because really there is nothing funnier than watching a cow dangle in the air by her hips (besides watching a cow run). Well once that was all said and done she was fine (MAGIC) we were thinking that the leg was busted but after transporting her to the pen she was putting weight on it. Again magic! merely a dislocated hip.... So on top of that + lack of sleep, it's been ridiculously cold all week and I've been out in it a majority of the time. Today was the the first time that I didn't come home frozen because I went and worked in the barn for a couple hours while I waited to the feed mixer to get fixed (oops!!), and I didn't have anything going on tonight so it wasn't like I had to rush home.
So now I start my weekend, I foresee dishes, laundry and groceries in my future, and then Saturday I get to go tobogganing with sparks so that'll be fun. But it's getting late and I have A LOT of sleep to catch up on, and resting to do because lets face it 17 hour days 3 days in a row is very Very exhausting. But I've been enjoying sharing my adventures this past week.
On a side note I came out holding Aces. My car didn't get written off YEAH!!! car 1 ice + curb 0
until next time

No comments:
Post a Comment